In the report James explores questions including:
- The German government presented its official coalition agreement late last year, which was ambitious across a range of areas. What is it targeting for the utility sector?
- What needs to happen for the government’s targets to be achieved?
- New gas-fired generation is needed - why it is not possible to meet demand solely through renewables?
- What does this mean for prices – in the near-term power & gas prices have been very high?
- Hydrogen has played an important role in the coalition plans – could this be used at some point instead of natural gas?
Listen to the latest episode of Podzept titled ‘Germany at the forefront of the energy transition’.
Clients of Deutsche Bank Research can access the full report here German Utilities: Decarbonising power & gas: the intermittency & seasonality challenges